Kmart Pharmacy Joins Fight Against Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms (AAA)
--Retail partner for Find the AAAnswers campaign will support free education, risk assessment and screening for potentially fatal vascular disease affecting more than 1 million Americans --
New York, NY, 2010 – The Find the AAAnswers Coalition announced today that Kmart Pharmacy will join their effort to increase awareness of abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA), a silent but deadly vascular condition that is currently undiagnosed in more than one million Americans,1 by offering AAA education, risk assessment and screenings at Kmart Pharmacy locations nationwide.
An AAA (pronounced triple A), is a blood-filled bulge or ballooning of the abdominal aorta, the artery that carries blood to the lower part of the body. Over time, the bulge - known as an aneurysm - can become weak and burst unexpectedly with fatal consequences – making it the third leading cause of sudden death in men over 60.3 More than one million people are living with an undiagnosed AAA1, and only 10-25 percent of those people will survive if their aneurysm ruptures.2 The risk for AAA increases in individuals that are age 60 and over, in those who have a history of smoking, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and/or a family history of the disease.
"The Find the AAAnswers Coalition is proud to partner with Kmart Pharmacy on this important education initiative," said R. Clement Darling III, MD, Chair, Society for Vascular Surgery’s Public and Professional Outreach Committee; Chief, Division of Vascular Surgery at Albany Medical Center Hospital and a Find the AAAnswers Coalition member. "Together, we can help to improve lives by bringing widespread awareness to vascular wellness and by targeting those individuals most in need of early detection of vascular disease, particularly abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA)." "With more than a thousand locations nationwide, Kmart Pharmacy is well positioned to disseminate educational information on abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA), review risk factors with customers, and offer free ultrasound screenings at select stores, which we believe can significantly improve early detection," said Robbert Ayshford, RPh, Divisional Vice President of Pharmacy Administration, Kmart Pharmacy.
With the goal of providing early detection information and services for AAA to millions of Americans, Find the AAAnswers will offer free of charge:
- AAA Ultrasound Screenings at Select Kmart Pharmacies – Beginning this September at select pharmacies, vascular technologists will conduct free AAA ultrasound screenings for at-risk individuals; the ultrasound screening is simple, quick and painless. The first Find the AAAnswers screening event will take place on Friday, September 10th at the Kmart Pharmacy located at 8800 Frankford Avenue in Philadelphia, PA from 8 am – 5 pm. Screenings take just 15 minutes to complete, but space is limited. Interested individuals should call 866-371-3592 or visit www.FindtheAAAnswers.org for more information and/or to register.
- AAA Risk Assessment at Kmart Pharmacy Flu Clinics – With the assistance of a Kmart pharmacist, interested individuals can have their risk for AAA assessed during flu clinics offered at more than 900 Kmart Pharmacy locations this fall (Sept 20-Nov 5).
- Educational Guide on Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms – This guide provides an overview of AAA, including disease, risk factor, screening and treatment information. The guide will be available immediately while supplies last at Kmart Pharmacy locations nationwide.
"When detected early, 95 percent of AAAs can be managed and successfully treated.1 Screening for AAA is our best chance to help save lives, and with Kmart Pharmacy as our national screening and education partner, we can educate many more Americans about AAA before it's too late," said Thomas Maldonado, MD, Associate Professor of Vascular Surgery at NYU Langone Medical Center and a Find the AAAnswers Coalition member.
These educational services will be available at more than 1,000 Kmart Pharmacies nationwide and online at www.kmart.com/pharmacy. A risk assessment quiz and doctor directory also is available online at www.FindtheAAAnswers.org.
About Find the AAAnswers
Find the AAAnswers is a multi-faceted public education campaign designed to raise awareness of abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA) and drive at-risk individuals to be screened. The program is sponsored by Medtronic and supported by the Find the AAAnswers Coalition, an alliance of concerned medical societies that have come together to provide accurate information about AAA. Coalition members include the American College of Preventive Medicine, the Peripheral Vascular Surgery Society, the Society for Vascular Nursing, the Society for Vascular Surgery and the Society for Vascular Ultrasound. In September 2010, Kmart Pharmacy joined the Coalition and assists in offering free AAA education, risk assessment and screening to consumers in the United States.
# # #
- Society for Vascular Surgery. Protect Yourself From An AAA Rupture. http://www.vascularweb.org/practiceresources/Documents/BrandingPDFs/newsletter_story_aaa.doc. Accessed August 3, 2009.
- Earnst, CB Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. N Engl J Med.1993;328:1167-72.
- Ohki T, Veith FJ. Endovascular Repair of Ruptured, AAAs In treating AAAs, endovascular repair may hold the key over open repair to lowering mortality. Endovascular Today. January 2004;47-51.